Hockey Canada President and CEO Scott Smith is leaving the national federation shattered by multiple cases of alleged sexual assault. All members of the Board of Directors are also retiring.
At a special council meeting Tuesday night, Mayor Mike Savage said Hockey Canada had dealt with allegations of sexual assault against players
not correctbut that given the announcement of resignations in the organization’s upper echelons, he is optimistic and confident that the city will be able to host the event.
We’re going to go ahead and put this tournament together, and we’re going to do a hell of a job like we always do.said Mike Savage.
We are approaching in the same direction as Halifax, although this is only a first stepsays Isabelle LeBlanc, communications spokeswoman for the city of Moncton.
There is still a long way to go to regain public trust. As we explained in last Friday’s communication, both host cities have the expertise and experience to host the tournament and are continuing our discussions with provincial partners.She says.
Mayor Mike Savage added that neither Halifax nor the players in this year’s tournament should be penalized for what happened years ago.
That was a long time ago, and it wouldn’t be fair to blame the kids who play hockey today, and it wasn’t the citizens of Halifax who got it wrong back then – thathe said.
On Tuesday afternoon, the Premiers of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick announced changes to Hockey Canada had been announced
considerably and constituted
an important step towards responsibility.
With information from CBC
Award-winning entrepreneur. Baconaholic. Food advocate. Wannabe beer maven. Twitter ninja.