- Here Comes the Sun – The Beatles
- I’m on Fire – Bruce Springsteen
- Blister in the Sun – Violent Femmes
- Boys of Summer – Don Henley
- Steal my Sunshine – Len
OLD-FASHIONED POTATO SALAD
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup good mayonnaise
- ¼ cup buttermilk, milk, or white wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup medium-diced celery
- ½ cup small-diced red onion
Place the potatoes and 2 tablespoons salt in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot off the heat and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Leave the potatoes to steam for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender but firm.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, Dijon and whole-grain mustards, dill, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters or halves, depending on their size. Place the cut potatoes in a large bowl and pour enough dressing over them to moisten. (As the salad sits, you may need to add more dressing.) Add the celery and red onion, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavours to blend.
BUTTERMILK OVEN “FRIED” CHICKEN
- 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 4 large garlic cloves, lightly crushed with the side of a chef’s knife, then peeled
- 8 chicken thighs and 8 chicken drumsticks (5 pounds total), skin on
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups plain dried bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In large bowl, combine buttermilk and garlic. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 12 hours.
- Arrange rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Line large shallow baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking oil. In large bowl, combine bread crumbs, oregano, basil, marjoram, salt, and pepper; toss well to blend.
- Drain chicken and discard buttermilk. Working with 1 piece at a time, dredge chicken in bread crumbs until well coated, then place, skin side up, on baking sheet. Spray pieces lightly with cooking oil.
- Bake chicken until golden and cooked through, 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Finish off this perfect picnic meal with a Entree Luxury Chocolate Bar by ChocoMe. A chocolate bar so decadent it must be shared with the one you love.